I hadn’t talked directly with John Helmer prior to doing this HPT Video with him, although we had exchanged some emails and messages via Social Media.
I have been following his Learning Hacks podcast for a couple of years after seeing it referenced by Donald Clark.
Adapted From LinkedIn
John Helmer is a writer, editor and communications strategy expert specialising in the fields of learning, training, education and publishing, with a particular focus on digital technology innovation. He has led many programmes bringing together thought leaders and practitioners for knowledge sharing and debate, and writes for and edits numerous blogs, as well as producing many white papers and research reports (including articles for peer-reviewed journals).
His career in strategic marketing consultancy includes many years working with and for organisations including Lumesse, Epic, LINE, Semantico, Towards Maturity, Ufi/learndirect, Kineo, Willow DNA, Learning Light and Capita Learning Solutions. Sector experience spans corporates, start-ups, scale-ups, not-for-profits and public bodies.
A pioneer in digital marketing, he co-created and promoted more than thirty training courses on using the internet for marketing and business. At LINE he helped to develop the vision of Learning Architectures and The New Learning Organisation. He is also a published novelist and columnist, has been on Top of Pops, and won a Perrier Award.
This video is number 153 in my collection – for the series that began in 2008.
The video is 45:58 minutes in length.
Connect with John
John’s LinkedIn Profile
- johnhelmerconsulting.com (Company Website)
- Learning Hack: https://learninghack.libsyn.com/
- Great Minds in Learning: https://greatmindsonlearning.libsyn.com/website
The Piranas YouTube Playlist
Guy’s HPT Video Series
The HPT Video Series … formerly known as the HPT Practitioner and HPT Legacy Video Series … was started by Guy W. Wallace in 2008 as a means of sharing the diversity of HPT Practitioners, and the diversity of HPT Practices in the workplace and in academia.
The full set of videos – over 150 – may be found and linked to – here.
HPT – Human Performance Technology – is the application of science – the “technology” part – for Performance Improvement.
As the late Don Tosti noted, “All performance is a human endeavor.”
Whether your label for HPT is that, or Performance Improvement, or Human Performance Improvement, it is all about Evidence-Based Practices for Performance Improvement at the Individual level, the Team level, the Process level, the Department level, the Functional level, the Enterprise level, and at the level of Society/World.
HPT Practitioners might operate at any of these levels, as this Video Series clearly demonstrates.
Although ISPI – the International Society for Performance Improvement is the professional home of many HPT Practitioners – the concepts, models, methods, tools and techniques are not limited to any one professional affinity group or professional label.
ISPI just happens to be where I learned about HPT – and has been my professional home since 1979.
This Series Has Evolved Since 2008
These videos were first posted on Google Video, then they were moved to Blink, and now they may all be found on YouTube. And my name for them has changed as well…
HPT Practitioner Video Podcasts and HPT Legacy Video Podcasts
– Practitioner Series – short 2-10 minutes, following a script. Intended to show the diversity of HPT and HPT Practitioners. (2008-2018)
– Legacy Series – longer 15-40+ minutes, also scripted, with added stories of other NSPI/ ISPI’ers from the earlier days of the Society or others who were of great influence. Intended to capture the stories of the people who influenced us. (2008-2018)
– HPT Video Series (2019+) – is a continuation of the first two types of videos in this series, but with less focus on capturing NSPI/ISPI members – and expanding out to any and all who use Evidence Based Practices in Performance Improvement regardless of any affiliation with ISPI or not.